Monday 13 December 2010

Sowing, Reaping, Keeping

Well we have just had a week with Laurence Singlehurst on the topic of this blog. It was one of my most favourite week of lectures because he is British and offers only the best in sarcastic British humour, he knows how to ask the right questions and it was 100% practical in application. BRILLIANT.

Prayer Requests 

. Finances for outreach to Vienna
. I would grow in glorifying God wholely (see below)
. An opportunity to put on a massive event in Vienna has arisen pray for direction and provision

I could share many, many things about what I learned. We learned about a post modern culture and what is relevant to the people, old methods no longer work we must find new creative ways, we discussed how today people need to go throuigh a process and therefore relationship building is very important.  But this is I think is the key message of the whole week.

Evangelism is not a method but a question, and the question is how big is your heart ?

Mission starts with love, the challenge to me is am I loving people or am I seeing them as projects. If I am not loving I need to be renewed in my values (high view of God, of people, of myself and sacrifical love).
It is our heart and love for people that drives us, helps us persevere and stand our ground. This is tough as I realise often my motives are wrong so I have begun to ask God to give me a bigger heart, I am going to need it.

Other

God has also been teaching me a lot about his Glory and it is a mighty subject. He has been showing me how many prayers actually have selfish motives because they are about what we get out of it. For example we often pray that God would move in an evangelistic event but hearts are often syaing so I can look good (I focused), to become a stronger Christian (that's I focused), to feel better about myself (that's still I focused), to become more holy (that's I focused as well). This really struck me because my prayers a riddled with motives like these. God really spoke to me saying "since when was it about glorifying self", but those who glorify him find they will always have success because God will be glorified through it. it's a complete brain shift but I am loving the challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment